Monday, September 13, 2010

Hypocrisy Comes Easy to the Intellectually Dishonest

... and the plainly stupid.

Should Rep John Boehner quit smoking if he becomes speaker? Who the hell is Bob Schieffer to ask such a question of Boehner, when Obama, the messiah himself, smokes? Is this a sleight of hand attack of Rep. Boehner? If it is it reeks of hypocrisy, cloaked in stupidity. No, you say? Then why bring it up at all? What? It's somehow shameful for the Speaker to smoke, but the president can puff to his heart's (and arteries) content?

If you folks on the left think this is a reasonable question/attack, you're all bonafide idiots.


Personal Note: I don't smoke. Never have. While I do think it looks ugly and displays a lack of both finesse and self-esteem (not to mention intelligence), it is nonetheless a personal choice that everyone is entitled to enjoy, so long as I don't have to smell it in places I have no choice but to be. That said, Obama smokes! And yes, I think it looks bad, but where does the left get off asking about Boehner's plainly bad decision to smoke, while the messiah himself smokes? Is this the best the left can do in the final weeks leading up to the midterms?

8 comments:

  1. I smoked two packs or more a day for over 30 years. One day, I decided to see if I could quit. That's the day I quit. Much easier than I had thought. I smoked a half a cigarette about a week later, and threw it away because I didn't even like the taste anymore. I've never smoked since.

    And I don't consider myself a particularly strong leader-type person. What does that make Obama if he can't quit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. now, see, normally I'd take issue with your last question... what does it matter if he smokes? at all?

    But if Boehner is somehow unfit for duty because he enjoys a smoke, how much more so Obama because he can't quit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would you ever take issue with that statement? All I was saying is that if Obama lacks the will power to quit smoking, how strong a leader can he possibly be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might as well ask:

    "If Clinton lacks the will power to stay away from women he's not married to, how strong a leader can he possibly be?"

    or

    "If George W. Bush can't properly articulate the word 'nuclear,' how strong a leader can he possibly be?"

    or

    "If Reagan lacks the will power to keep his hand out of the jellybean jar, how strong a leader can he possibly be?"

    Obama could be a very effective president, whether he smokes or not, if he would only be the president he promised to be during the campaign. It's not about whether or not he can kick the habit, it's about his ability to responsibly lead.

    Same with Boehner. So what if he smokes. That's not disqualification for the seat he'll likely take if the Republicans win the House.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, Obama would have to be a lot more than he promised during the campaign to be an effective leader, but for the sake of brevity I left it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If Clinton lacks the will power to stay away from women he's not married to, how strong a leader can he possibly be?"

    Yes, and that's exactly what I said about him at the time. The George Bush thing isn't quite the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprisingly I'm pretty much with EL on this one. I quit cold myself. Haven't had a smoke in 23 years. My Dad, as strong-willed a man as there ever was smoked from age 14 until he died of COPD at age 87. Couldn't quit.

    Tobacco is 100 times more addictive than heroin.

    But really. Scheiffer asking Boehner about smoking? A) it's none of his business, and B) this is what you ask the House Minority Leader on national TV? Egad, man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, that is a photo shopped image of the President.

    ReplyDelete

Your First Amendment right to free speech is a privilege and comes with a measure of responsibility. You have the right to exercise that responsibility here but we reserve the right to inform you when you've used that right irresponsibly.

We are benevolent dictators in this regard. Enjoy.