Tuesday, April 20, 2010

An Entitlement Mentality

"Medicaid is essentially bankrupt, Medicare is essentially bankrupt, why the heck would we give the federal government another entitlement program to manage?" ~ Timothy Pawlenty

Offered here, an unapologetic rambling response to a partial comment made in the comments section of my previous blog entry(read it, too):

A commenter made the following (unsubstantiated) statement:

"Before the implementation of Medicare 75% of seniors died in poverty."

My response: Yeah? Who says?

Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.

You'll just run to some Liberal web site and quote some so-called scholarly finding which doesn't prove a thing, except in your own Liberally indoctrinated mind.

Listen: I was in marketing management for the majority of my life and I've learned one can prove or disprove anything with numbers, so, before we get into a pissing contest trading statistics, know this:

I grew up in a large city with a median income level below the national poverty line. I've lived in and around ghettos all my life.

I've been poor. I've been homeless. I'm not rich by anyone's definition now. And I've never accepted hand-outs from the Government except for one time. Once (in 1979), I allowed the Government to give me $300.00 to pay my bills and feed my children when I was flat broke and unemployed and my wife had just had a baby. It was a temporary help and as soon as I got a job (within a week), I got off welfare.

And, I paid back the money.

That, Moron, is what welfare was intended to do. Be a hand up, not a hand-out.

I've also lived in public housing next door to two single women with children each who lived on either side of me. The one who lived directly to the south of me worked her butt off, and saved her pennies, and eventually bought a house and moved out of the projects. Her two children were polite and respectful.

I have respect for her.

The one who lived directly to the north of me spent her waking hours sitting in a chair in her front yard, chain smoking, and complaining constantly that the government wouldn't give her even more money than she was already receiving. Her 2 children stole and consorted with gang-bangers.

I have no respect for her.

I've also made the mistake (when I was a Liberal) of voluntarily donating money, time, and resources to some of these irresponsible, entitlement minded welfare brats, only to watch them ask for more and more, and no expressions whatsoever of gratitude.

So, don't give me statistics ad nauseum that supposedly disprove what I've witnessed with my own eyes and experienced in my own life. You won't convince me there's any validity to them.

The fact is, most poverty is caused by bad choices and a lack of personal responsibility. And the Liberal policies of Liberal government only make it worse by instilling in the irresponsible an entitlement mentality.

Do this simple experiment sometime: Go down to your local WalMart parking lot and count the number of welfare recipients who are parked illegally in the fire lane in front of the store. Why do they park there?

Because they think they're entitled to park there.

That's the mind set Liberal Governmental entitlement programs have spawned.

If 75% truly died in poverty before Medicare and not after Medicare (which is disputable), it was a result of their own bad choices and irresponsible behavior.

And, here's a news flash for you:

People in this country still die in poverty.

Every day. Do you know why? Because Liberal governmental policies have not rescued any entitlement-minded individual from poverty. They've only succeeded in creating more poverty and less personal responsibility.

And more criminals.

If you don't believe that, you are either brainwashed or willfully ignorant.

And, by the way, Obama's policies are going to create even more poverty. And more. And more. Before he's done, the number of people who will die in poverty may be as high as 90%.

Medicare is a failure, and it's nearly bankrupt.

Listen. If you want to mount a personal campaign to eliminate poverty by throwing money at the irresponsible, go for it. That's what you're allowed to do voluntarily.

No one's stopping you from throwing your money away.


But, as you've no doubt heard, it's better to teach a man to fish than to simply give him a fish dinner every day.

It isn't the Government's business or responsibility to wet nurse these babies.

Who made the U.S. government the world's babysitter?

Useful idiots like you.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Mark. Read the previous post, btw, and its comments. I was surprised to read Jim articulating what governments role SHOULD be, and that is to grant people...

    "the opportunity to [make a quarter million a year] if they have the smarts and the drive to make it happen."

    This is what you and I and Art have been saying this whole time. Only to get bashed by the likes of Jim and BenT for doing so.

    The poor do not need nannies. What they need is support and encouragement to "make it happen." Not everyone wins the lottery in life, but you can't win anything at all unless you buy a ticket. The poor need to educate themselves in spite of their circumstances and substandard schools. They need to believe in themselves in spite of their circumstances and the station to which they were born (and count themselves lucky they weren't born in pre-1950's India where NO upward mobility was possible), because anything is possible in America. Even a black man can become president! The poor need dig deep into their soul for the drive and determination to dig themselves out of poverty. They can do it. It's up to them... not government. Because government-- as it now practices management of the poor --seeks only to maintain the status quo, not see them rise above it all and succeed. If government truly wanted the poor to succeed, it would not do much of what it now does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something Mark is eluding to that really needs to be discussed on the national level is the Liberal work ethic (or lack there of). I haven't heard anyone on the left talk about taking personal responsibility for there decisions, instead they want the nation to take the hit in the form of "social justice" or entitlement programs.

    ReplyDelete

Your First Amendment right to free speech is a privilege and comes with a measure of responsibility. You have the right to exercise that responsibility here but we reserve the right to inform you when you've used that right irresponsibly.

We are benevolent dictators in this regard. Enjoy.